I have been distracted many a time by tea, facebook, fruit & nut slice, more tea and now blogging. My exam is tomorrow, but I think I will pass.
Isn't confidence said to be a great frame of mind to have when doing exams?
I'm in my first year of nursing and so far, I love it.
We've just been learning the basics; taking observations, fluid balance, hygiene, some basic medications, wound care, skin integrity... And a lot of the "spiritual, mind-body connection" crap - the classes where they teach you that you need to be empathetic and treat the patients 'inner' person to be a good nurse.
I honestly think that kind of thing can't be taught. If you aren't already a compassionate and patient person by the time your 21, then you aren't going to learn it by sitting in a lecture hall listening to some academic talk about how it's important to integrate the 'lived experience' of the person you're treating to be a good nurse.
It's just basic common knowledge and human instinct, something that can't be taught.
I haven't decided what kind of nurse I would like to be. I've had a few thoughts, perhaps an emergency nurse, or a midwife.
I don't think it's wise to decide this early in my studies, I still have so much to see and learn. Maybe I'll end up actually enjoying wiping old ladies saggy butts and laughing at their stories about their grandkids.
It's a good day to be shut inside studying though. Rainy, miserable and cold. I'm quite content sitting here in my tracky pants and slippers with my cup of tea.
Good luck to me in my exam tomorrow!
Lb

No comments:
Post a Comment